Before class, I've never seen Good Night and Good Luck even though I'm wanted to for awhile. I knew the journalistic happenings surrounding McCarthyism, but brought a new view to censorship in journalism. If Edward Murrow hadn't taken that stand, and CBS that chance, who knows what would have happened. People would have lost their jobs because of the assumption they were communists, and Murrow and his coworkers stood up for those. I also know that advertising is what basically keeps a newspaper running. It was a strong point that even after hearing advertisers may pull out from the show, Murrow would split the cost and pay for the ads to keep the stand going.
I'm glad we watched this movie in class, though, I don't know if I viewed it different than I would have if I had seen it when it came out. Advertising and censorship wasn't news to me, but really seeing what Murrow and CBS did during McCarthyism showed me how serious things were back then, and if Murrow hadn't taken a stand, we'd live in a different media society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment